This is the place for photos and reflections of my visits to Latin America beginning in 2012. Previous blogs are linked on the main pages of my photo collections on flickr. HAPPY TRAILS!

Monday, July 30, 2012

TIKAL - Afternoon & sunrise tours

After we saw Rosie and Jesse off, we headed into Tikal for a late afternoon visit. The cost of the entrance ticket for me (a foreignor) was 150 quetzales or about $20. Since I was staying in the park and Roxy was with me, the guards stamped it good for the next day. The following morning we entered early for a sunrise tour which was an additional 100 quetzales or about $13; if 'd waited until after dawn to enter I wouldn't have had to pay for the 2nd ticket. Only those staying at 1 of the 3 hotels in the park can enter for sunrise tours so don't believe San Juan tours if you're staying in Flores and they try to sell you a sunrise tour.












See her?

Real Maya graffiti - Roxy knows so many of Tikal's secrets!
Clever, strong masonry, no mortar.
I had a nice room at Tikal Inn (Syl - I think it was the same 1 you and I shared in 2007).
After my 1st real in 2 days
 I took a dip in the lovely pool before heading to bed.
Roxy and arose before 4 and headed out through the dark forest toward Temple IV and the sunrise.

Poor confused ants - they'll never find their way home that way!
Good morning, little friend!
Good morning tree gnome gazing down at gigantic toad (pronounced 'hee gahn teek' since we're in Guatemala).

Temple I
1st light viewed from Temple IV


2 toucans had views as brilliant as ours.
Spider monkey







Agouti

Jaguar skull

I think Roxy called this foundling a lady palm; she was concerned about where it was and packed it along to plant in a better place.




More spider monkeys





I love this view of the back of Temple I; it was the 1st peak we had as a family of the temples at Tikal in 2003.

Blue Morpho butterfly larvae
Black Howler monkeys

Sensitive plants - I didn't move the camera between shots but touched the plants which shrank away, not wanting to be eaten.

Teeny hider - good bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment