This is the place for photos and reflections of my visits to Latin America beginning in 2012. Previous blogs are linked on the main pages of my photo collections on flickr. HAPPY TRAILS!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

SAN JUAN AND SALSA

Wednesday I made 2 trips to San Juan La Laguna, a neighboring village. In the morning Mynor and I rode tuktuks both ways (10 quetzales each way for both of us, about $1.25). We met with a Sacerdote to see if he'd be willing to perform a Maya spiritual ceremony for our group next week. He asked serious questions of Mynor in Tz'utujil about our motivation and seemed satisfied with the answers. He wants our full names and birthdates a day ahead so he can figure out our Maya signs before we meet - I am really looking forward to that experience.

(Detail of above:-)
In the afternoon I invited Kim and Molly to join me on a visit to San Juan. We met in the park by the Catholic church and rode both ways in the back of pickup trucks with racks (2 quetzales/pp or about 25 cents each way). You have to wait for them to fill but we lucked out timing wise both coming and going.
We wandered in and out of women's weaving cooperatives, checked out the enormous church they're building attached to the old church's facade, and caught a ride back.




Wednesday night is salsa night at the Cooperativa and Luis (in orange) is a great teacher. Available light and our brilliant speed made for surreal photos but I decided to post them anyway because they give a sense of the action, although - sadly - not the music.



 

 Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment