This is the place for photos and reflections of my visits to Latin America beginning in 2012. Previous blogs are linked on the main pages of my photo collections on flickr. HAPPY TRAILS!

Friday, August 3, 2012

FALLEN STONES: Lubaantún Maya Site & Butterfly Farm

1 day I took a local bus from PG heading to the village of San Miguel. I sat next to a sweet old man whose daughter lives in the US; he asked me to write down her name and, if I could talk to her, ask her to phone and tell him when she'll be returning.









I hopped off the bus at the access road for the Lubaantun "Fallen Stones" Maya site and hiked about 3/4 of a mile to get there.




The caretaker, Santiago, showed me some of the latest finds, mostly small flutes and figures. His ancestors have made art with the local clay for generations; he makes replicas from the same clay source the Maya used 1000 years ago; I bought a small pot.












A bee tube hidden by leaves
Beautiful lunch spot -lots of birds






I enjoyed another chat with Santiago before heading out.





Fallen Stones is an accurate name for the site; some of the stones fell all the way to the village church.
Ian from Hickatee Cottages manages Fallen Stones Butterfly Farm so I was able to visit even though it's not open to the public; he picked me up near Lubaantun, 4 wheel drive appreciated.
Most of the property is covered with butterfly food.
I enjoyed going from 1 enclosure to the next, seeing the beautiful varieties of butterflies and learning about the farming and shipping processes.














This butterfly is tricky - it appears to have 2 heads. Ian spotted it as we hiked up the trail to the truck.
I purposely turned this photo so you can see what I saw that afternoon, a Maya ruler with quetzal head dress and Lubaantun flute.

No comments:

Post a Comment